Taxi operator

Individuals or legal entities/companies who want to operate a taxi owned or held by them need a taxi operating permit from Samgöngustofa/The Icelandic Transport Authority (ICETRA). The operating permit is valid for five years.

Application for taxi operator

Requirements for the permit

  • Permanent residence (domicile) within the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • Applicant must be at least 21 years of age
  • General driving license for at least three years (B-category)
  • Commercial driving license (B-far)
  • Taxi driving permit course (applicant has to pass a test)
  • Taxi operating permit course (applicant has to pass a test)
  • Good reputation, that is, the applicant has not been guilty of criminal behaviour (criminal record)
  • Service at a taxi station - taxi operator with one vehicle can be his or her own station
  • Single owner or holder of a car (taxi) with appropriate vehicle insurance
  • In control of his own finances, confirmation that the applicant is not in bankruptcy
  • Not in default with public fees
  • An electronic file that stores satellite information of each sold trip so that each trip can be tracked, information must be stored for at least 60 days after the trip was made

Supporting documents (required attachments)

  • Confirmation of permanent residence (Residence Certificate) – National Registry
  • Copy of driver's licence (both sides)
  • Criminal record: ICETRA obtains information from the prosecution authority to confirm a good reputation
  • Certificate of authority to manage an estate (Búsforræðisvottorð) –
  • Confirmation that public fees are not in default - or Skatturinn
  • Confirmation of appropriate vehicle insurance for a taxi from an insurance company
  • Recent electronic photo for the licence
  • A copy of a contract with a taxi station if the taxi operator intends to transfer his duties to the station
  • Copy of a valid identity document confirming citizenship within the European Economic Area (e.g. driving license or passport)
  • Individuals with citizenship outside the European Economic Area (EEA) must present a residence and work permit


  • The cost of a permit for substitute taxi drivers is according to the tariff of Samgöngustofa/ICETRA
  • Note that the cost of the required course and documents must be obtained from the relevant parties.

Further information

  • You can read more about permits in Article 6 of law on taxi driving no. 120/2022
  • If you have questions you are welcome to contact us at

Was the content helpful? Yes No