Noise Certificate

All airplanes and helicopters which have a type certificate issued by EASA now need to have a noise certificate. On the EASA Web site , you can find information on approved noise levels for all types of airplanes and helicopters which have an EASA Type Certificate . Problems in finding the right noise level mainly arise if aircraft have been modified before the establishment of EASA (28 September 2003) and certification of modifications has not been conducted by EASA. In these cases, there is sometimes a shortage of information available to EASA. The basic regulation of EASA (1592/2002) defines basic requirements for environmental protection based on Appendix 16 to the Chicago Convention (ICAO).

The EASA noise certificate is issued on EASA Form 45 by the Icelandic Transport Authority in accordance with section I in Part 21 in regulation no. 380/2013 (EB 748/2012) Airworthiness and Environmental Certification of Aircraft and Related Products, Parts and Appliances, as well as for the Certification of Design and Production Organisations.

Application form for noise certificate

Issue and billing

  • A noise certificate shall be issued for each aircraft when it is registered in the Aircraft Register and receives Icelandic registration marks. These certifications will not be regularly renewed, because they do not need to be renewed unless modifications are made which affect the noise level of the aircraft; those are, for example, changes made to engines, propellers, or maximum weights. Also, a new certificate needs to be issued if the registration marks (TF-) of the aircraft are changed. The noise certificate should always be accessible along with other information which pertains to the aircraft.
  • The fee for issuing a noise certificate is a fixed price in the tariff of the Icelandic Transport Authority and applies to all aircraft used in commercial aviation as well as aircraft for private use and teaching which fall under these EASA provisions.
  • The fee is based in hourly rate. In case of simple issue where all information is in place it is charged for one hour. For other cases e.g. if further information needs to be requested and/or information or approval from EASA needs to be obtained the hourly rate applies.
  • A lost noise certificate can be reissued for a fee.
  • In the case of new registrations of all aircraft, a filled out application form needs to be submitted.
  • Noise certificates will be issued for aircraft used in private and instructional flying which have a valid airworthiness certificate. The noise certificates will be sent to the owner or holder along with a payment slip. In cases where sufficient information is not available, the necessary information will be requested.
  • Aircraft already on the Aircraft Register but which are currently without an airworthiness certificate will be issued a noise certificate concurrently with a new airworthiness certificate, if such a noise certificate has not already been issued. An application for a new airworthiness certificate shall therefore be accompanied by an application for a noise certificate.

Was the content helpful? Yes No